Friday, October 4, 2013

IMSA GTU Champion 1982

Sam & I headed out to Lynbrook today to check out a 82 Celica Supra today. Meh, little to be said about that.

After that ordeal we ended up at Tarmac Motorsports to drop a friend off and say hello to the guys at the shop. As we pulled up there was this gem sitting outside that the guys recently acquired.

A black 1982 Mazda Rx7 GSL. (Ironic how we checked out two 82 year cars in the same day) Its a 82, so that makes it a FB3S, not a true Sa22c with the metal bumpers and thermal reactor for emission controls. A GSL trim model so it came with a "1.2 liter " carb'd 12A, backed by a 5spd gearbox and a Limited slip differential. The astethics of the GSL trim included a pretty big metal sunroof that was motorized to slide outwards. Nifty & cool looking.
Pretty clean exterior with a recent black respray, even though I am more of a fan of the original copper this one was clad in.  Clean brown interior thst was in very good condition for its age.
The 12a had been tuned up and started up without the typical rotary coaxing.

Damian let us drive it today, it brought back a little nostalgia of driving one again. The last time I was behind the wheel was just a little over 8 years ago during high school after a friend had purchased a 84 GSL.  It felt just as I expected, tight & nimble, a true sports car feel. The more I sat inside the more I wanted to drive it home.

As I returned the keys to Damian he told me they were selling it. I was quickly tempted to drop the cash on it and drive it home the same night, but I passed as I have something else I want right now. However it still is forsale and very decently priced for the conditon of it. For more info. if you feel the urge to drive a spinning triangle, or for ANY custom fabrication work, contact the guys over at Tarmac by calling (646) 853 1191 or by TM-SPL.com. Just mention Travis or Sam sent you

No comments:

Post a Comment